Rothschild Giraff Breeding Center

Rothschild Giraff Breeding Center

Thursday, March 29, 2007

The Cat That Died In Puerto Lopez and Was Resurrected Later That Night or Erin´s Ill-Fated Trip to Puerto Lopez that Underwent a Revival at Night

"Look underneath the house there
Find the few living things
Rotting fast in their sleep of the dead"

While working at the orphanage, I took a break on the advice of Carolina, a local biologist (the same woman who owns the land around the orphanage and preserves it for the monkeys) and went to Peurto Lopez. Puerto Lopez is located in Machalilla National Park, which is one of the largest remaining areas of coastal forest. While riding on the bus with Carolina, she was able to tell me all about the land and wildlife of the park, as well as the efforts to protect the park from poachers and other damage. She encouraged me to take a tour out to Isla de la Plata the next day. Isla de la Plata is often referred to as "the poor man´s Galapagos" in guide books, but Carolina explained that it deserves its own credit. Unlike the Galapagos, it is the only place where all three species of boobie (blue footed, red footed and white) exist together.

I left the orphanage in a hurry in order to catch the next bus to Puerto Lopez, therefore I did a very poor job of packing the small back pack I took with me. I made it to Puerto Lopez without a hat, a long sleeve shirt, or a swim suit. When I realized this, I wondered a little if I am really capable of traveling down here or if I have just had good luck so far. I also thought of a few other miscellaneous items I needed and I needed to sign up for a tour to the island. Once I got to my hostel, I set out to take care of these errands -- or at least attempt to. Upon leaving my otherwise pleasant hostel, I noticed a pretty white cat sleeping in the outdoor common area. I bent down to pet the cat, and when I did, the cat didn´t move. I stood up and watched the cat, but didn´t see it breath. I had several thoughts at that point: "eww, I touched a dead cat," "this hostel would be pretty nice if only someone would move the dead cat," and "the poor owners. . . maybe they don´t know their cat is dead." The cat became a metaphor for how the rest of my evening went.

First, I was unable to find a tour that was actually leaving the next day. Then I had to go to four or five different stores to find what would be common items in the States -- a black pen, ear plugs, face soap and something to take care of the strange heat rash I had developed upon arriving at the coast. I didn´t even attempt to deal with my lack of clothing. I have noticed that I become rather mercurial being in a foreign country. For example, when I attempted to mail a package from Latacunga, I had multiple problems finding a box, finding tape and getting the post office to agree to mail the package-- during this fiasco, I would go from being totally hopeless, to ridiculously proud that I did something as simple as buy tape. After I successfully mailed the package it felt like I had won the lotto. I had similar mood swings while attempting to run errands in Puerto Lopez. Eventually, however, I found some of the items I needed and found out that I could probably add on to a tour more successfully in the morning. All of a sudden, my night got a lot better with just a little luck and success. Fittingly, when I got back to the hostel at the end of the night, the cat (whom I had passed several times and was still dead for the whole afternoon and evening) was magically resurrected! I kid not. It was now a totally normal standing, moving, meowing cat now that the sun had gone down. Seems like the night was looking up for both of us. Maybe the sun was as hard on the cat as it has been on me.

In the morning I succeeded in joining a tour to Isla de la Plata. It was definitely worth the trip. I even met two other students from UW in the group! How strange. But not as strange as meeting a girl in Baños who grew up in Moscow, Idaho.

I tried for a Sufjan-esque title for you Conor.

14 comments:

Elliot Akshun said...

That was an excellent entry. I am not sure why you say that I am a good writer, when clearly you have transcendently better skills than I.

Now, can you come back soon and cure Pierre's chronic renal failure?

Vanya said...

Erin, all I have to say is STAY THE HELL AWAY from strange/ potentially dead ghost cats! My "experience" with Gremlin in Thailand was the single most frightening thing that occured during my entire trip. I'm not sure what that says about me, or about SE Asia in general, but regardless, seriously beware.

Anonymous said...

Hi Erin! I just wanted to say hi and that I am really enjoying reading your blog.

Unknown said...

Its awesome being able to follow your (mis)adventures. You know how much I wish I was with you. Am there at least in spirit. When you travel it is amazing how small the world really is. Really, who grows up in Moscow, Id? Stay well. Fid

Anonymous said...

Thank god the cat lived! I can read your posts knowing that you survived to write about it. Congrats on your small (tape) victories. That's what life is all about, anyways. A series of small victories.

Erin said...

Really glad you are all reading this! I´m having a crappy day sitting around waiting for my second night bus which doesn´t leave for another 7 hours. It helps to read your comments!

Anonymous said...

How traumatizing - thinking you touched a dead cat! Then seeing it come back to life, like a vampire cat maybe? I know you had many intellectual and insightful things to say in this most recent blog, but I just can't get over the fact that you (unknowingly) touched a dead cat ... I hope you washed your hands.

Stay safe!

Erin said...

hum, a vampire cat. . .hadn´t thought of that! Good thing I didn´t think of that before I went to sleep there! It could be possible -- there are stranger things -- like vampire finches in the Galapagos!

Unknown said...

i'm showing dad how to leave comments. which takes much longer than it really should. haha

Unknown said...

Erin, crazy news! I'm going to be in Uganda in June! Let's meet up there and have a good ol' time.

..........April fools.... I know, I'm a nerd.

But seriously Steve, come visit me at Oxford! It's not like it will cost YOU anything, and hey, you might learn a thing or two about the world while you're there. I'm told a couple of smart people go to Oxford (myself not included).

Stay safe. Have fun. See you soon?!

martha said...

Hey Erin,

so my dad told me recently of a cat he knew in Honduras. He met him when he first went there, and saw him on subsequent visits....He claims the cat was there for his most recent visit (some 30 some odd years after the initial meeting) and looked healthy...I'm thinking these cats might have something in common.....namely similar looking family members? Just a thought.

Your photos are lovely, I am enjoying the vicarious travel.

miss you

thanks for the sufjian reference..love him so.

Erin said...

None of you, namely Mr. akshun and Martha, have actually called the song title. Only implied that it is Sufjan. So in my book, it´s still open.

martha said...

John Wayne Gacy Jr

JL said...

haha, yes, post offices can be quite a joy. i remember scurrying around for a box and tape etc. in retrospect though, i shipped way too many parcels home and now that im bankrupt i wish i had waited until i had collected more things together and sent fewer packages with more things in them.

and might i add, i am positively FLABBERGASTED by the amount of commentary you get on your blog! well done!