Rothschild Giraff Breeding Center

Rothschild Giraff Breeding Center

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Frustration

"you think i'm unkind
but people aren't the way you think they are
they can't remember all the time
what it was you wanted
. . .
you think i'm mean 'cause i call you out
you don't know what you're about
the worst part's almost over now"

In the last roughly two months of travel I have met many people, both other tourists from all different countries and local people in the countries I have traveled through. Some people I like more than others, some people I want to travel with, others I don´t, some people I am very comfortable with, others I am a little uncomfortable with, but all have been worth meeting and none have been terribly problematic. Except for one. Please excuse me while I vent.

In Pisaq, Peru, which is a small town in the Sacred Valley near Machu Picchu, I met a Venezuelan man currently living in Miami. We had lunch together and had an interesting and enjoyable time talking about life in the U.S., politics, and so on. Later, back in Cusco, Iran into the same man. We arranged to meet up for coffee later on in the evening.

While having coffee that evening, Luis met a French woman and invited me to come to her table to join the conversation. Now, before I continue, I want you, dear reader, to forget that I have mentioned this woman is French. I mention it for two reasons: because you would undoubtedly be curious and because I feel that it is important to point out that she is from a first world, western culture. Now forget that she is specifically French. I don´t want this to be a criticism of the French, as I have met many very nice French people while traveling.

Luis and close-minded, naive, childish, middle aged, new-age hippie woman, or Aelfreda as I will call her, where having a conversation about meditation or something quasi-spiritual which I therefore have no interest in. Luis had just returned from somewhere in the hills where he was taking part in rituals with some sort of hallucinogen, so he was really interested in Aelfreda´s meditation. However, as soon as I arrived, the conversation quickly changed to travel, tourism and foreigners. I didn´t talk much, so my mere presence incited this change in topic. Whoops.

Now, I have no problem with constructive criticism of the United States -- I do it all the time; however, I do have a problem with unfounded, nonconstructive, nevertheless serious criticism of the U.S. by a foreigner. Aelfreda talked about how she had finally "discovered" herself as a person, found her true love, was finally living life for herself, bla bla bla. In short, she was claiming to have figured out how to be a "good", "happy" person -- whatever that means. She then goes on to tell me that she gives every new person she meets a fair chance. She then immediately follows with "but I hate 99 % of the Americans I meet" (yes, she knows I am from the States). This doesn´t really give me good odds, does it? Her reason for hating people from the U.S. (a more correct term than "Americans" especially when traveling in South America)? One time she went on a business trip to the U.S. and a local man told her he could take her to a place to buy a big bottle of Tabasco sauce the next day. But then he forgot. That´s right, forgot, as in, she never asked again, never reminded him. That was her reason. I wish I was kidding, but I am not. There are so many good reasons to hate people from the U.S. -- that is not one of them.

I decided that arguing with this woman was futile, and even counter-productive as she would just decide to add me to the 99% of "Americans" she hated. Instead, I calmly explained that one needed to understand cultural differences. She had claimed that a European would never offer to do something and then forget. I find it hard to believe that she knows the nature of all Europeans, or even French for that matter. I explained that in the U.S., people are often more punctual than in South America and that if I didn´t understand this difference and accept it as a cultural difference, I might not like people from Latin America. Luis at this point laughed because he had indeed been an hour late to meet me for coffee. He backed me up saying he was glad to see that I had just waited and not even brought up the fact that he was late. This really didn´t seem to change Aelfreda´s mind.

She said many other things in two hours that were naive, close-minded and often contradictory. I wont bore you with more details. At the time I was talking to her, she didn´t aggravate me too much, but that night, I couldn´t fall asleep because I was so frustrated by her. The next morning too, she was all I could think about. Now, a week later, she still pops unpleasantly into my mind. It frustrates me that I am so frustrated by her. I think I am most frustrated that she believes she is something that she clearly is not. She believes she is open-minded and a productive member of society, but she will never see that she is not. Upon leaving, Luis asked if we had become friends (jokingly, as he could sense the tension). I replied that I had tried. I told Aelfreda that it was nice to meet her and left. What I wish I had said was, "I think you are childish and naive, but I know that you will never realize this and for that reason I feel very, very sorry for you". But of course then I would just be a rude "American".

Because of this experience, I am no longer even going to joke about being Canadian. I am from the United States, dammit, and if you don´t want to give me a fair chance as an individual, that is your loss.

12 comments:

jorge riveros cayo said...

Well Erin, it seems this whole episode really got you frustrated... your whole entry is about that instead of your adventures in Cusco and well... you totally skipped Lima!

Anyway, I'll write you soon. La Paz? Your favorite big city?? Are you crazy???? Besos, /Jorge

Ms. Lewis said...

Erin,

I heard Josh Ritter for the first time when I was floating around on my dad's fishing boat in Bristol Bay. There's one radio station out there, and in between the birthday shout-outs in Yup'ik and fishing announcements, they play World Cafe from NPR. David Dye is my MAN.

And hey - if you don't want to blame that woman's idiocy on her being French, I will! I feel qualified to do that, having lived there and known, loved, and hated so many French people. That woman probably felt that it was her inherent duty as a Frenchwoman to drag you down for being estadounidense - in all my time there, I met ONE French family that was as open-minded, curious, welcoming, and non-judgmental about me and my country as I was about them and theirs. That's not to say that all, or even most, French people are like your dear Aaelmeda-something-or-other- they're just the ones that always seem to pounce on traveling Americans and hold forth.

I say bravo to being proud of your American-ness, and good luck finding a happy medium of pride, humility, and open mind. You're uniquely qualified to do so.

Erin said...

Thanks for doing the dirty work I could not do Roxy.

Jorge, I have only temporarily skipped Lima and Cusco. Those topics are harder to condense into something that my readers will actually enjoy rather than fall asleep reading. I try to write things that are interesting, as opposed to "First I went here, then I did this, then I did that. . ." As you can see, the French woman incident took two hours and is still quite a long entry! And yes, she REALLY PISSED ME OFF!!

Ok, ok, I would still probably move to Lima first, but where else other than La Paz can you find dried alpaca fetuses, blue cheese hamburgers and black market items all for under $3?!

jorge riveros cayo said...

Blue cheese hamburgers?? Wow!! that sounds like a good reason to go to fucking La Paz! Only problem is that Bolivians hate Peruvians!

Anonymous said...

I will second the French nomination for rudeness. My bad experiences with the French far outweigh the positive ones. It does make me strive to be a respectful traveler abroad.
I can't wait to hear about Peru - it one my list to visit soon. See if you can make any veterinary connections that I can exploit =)
Megs

Anonymous said...

There are dumb asses in every country and culture. It is a universal trait of human beings. It can not be escaped. The worst are dumb asses in their own personal nirvana.

Its the unpleasant experiences that we learn life lessons from (ie: dont touch the hot stove!). You sounded like you handled yourself well.

I echo Elliots entry!
- Fid

Anonymous said...

Erin,
It is unfortunate this woman could not see past her own biases to learn about the person you are. If there was any one US citizen travelling abroad who could change negative perceptions about the US, it would be you.
Good for you to rise above her small mindedness!

Love your pics, by the way.

Vanya said...

Good for you for declaring that you are from the US, Erin-I think it is important for several reasons, and the only people I ever met traveling who declared any sort of anti-american sentiment were Canadians or, to a lesser extent, Western Europeans. I mostly agree with what Roxy has to say about the lovely Frenchies; above all, I think it is a case of national pride run rampant.

Rula said...

Sorry to make you panic, I wasnt thinking about people not at home reading the blog...if it makes you feel any less alone in Peru, I had the same feeling of being alone walking around the streets in Burkina Faso, and even talking to the other travels "but dont Americans shoot eachother all the time?"...
I read your blog too and Ive been meaning to comment for a while. Especially when you were in Ecuador, because I studied in Quito, and it was my first big travel experience, and had a lot to do with my applying for this. And I am very much in agreement about the Americans lying and foreiners ignorantly hating. Pisses me off. I go home in two weeks, but i will continue to read-- good luck with the rest of your trip! (Also just having read some of the anti french comments, and having met a lot or french in Francophone africa, most travelling french are really quite open...)

Anonymous said...

YES go getem Erin, lol she aint the last your gonna meet.lol i personally would have antagonized her just to laugh at her.lol im lovin your blog too keep this up

JL said...

interesting, perhaps it's because everyone assumes i am japanese, but to my great surprise ive encountered almost no antagonism against americans. i decided before i left that would ditch the canadian persona because if all americans travel abroad saying theyre canadian, no wonder people think that we all are are camera-toting, barking loud sweat dripping culturally insensitive tourists. i did get in a mild argument with a local woman in la paz who tired to lecture me on why i should pay more for a one dollar souvenir because in america they have higher standards of living and i became enraged...probably disproportionately so. anyway, this is becoming ramble, but this is the first time ive seen your blog (just got the address off of rula's site) and isnt it curious that most of the americans you run into are open-minded, culturally informed, city-dwellers from the coasts or Austin, Texas? at least that's comprised 99% of my interaction with traveling yankees.

Kinohi Nishikawa said...

Sounds like this woman was on a downer. She needed more hallucinogens, if you ask me!