Rothschild Giraff Breeding Center

Rothschild Giraff Breeding Center

Friday, May 11, 2007

How to make your stay in a third world south american country even more uncomfortable

All possibilities
Are landing at my feet
There's nothing I can see
But possibilities

All colours are changing in my eyes
Your hopes are all fading, that will never do
You're seeing the world through cynical eyes
I'm seeing the world through the eyes of somebody new

I am traveling through Bolivia right now and despite the somewhat negative title above (which is intended to make fun of myself, rather than Bolivia) I really like Bolivia thus far. I came south from Lake Titicaca to La Paz, where I met up with two friends I had made in Peru. Joshua and Cody are brother and sister and are taking a month to travel together around Peru, Bolivia and Argentina. I was a little jealous of them because of their spontaneity and because they seemed to be such good traveling companions. In contrast, I took forever to plan this trip and still can´t get anyone to come visit me. I also always wonder if I would have done something similar to this trip if I had not received this fellowship. Obviously lots of other people are traveling through their own means and I hope I would be one of them, but I can´t say with certainty that I would. Becoming complacent in life in the States is really easy, or so I have found. I am still on this trip, yet I find myself planning my next trips already -- this is a good thing, I think, as long as I follow through with it. Even though I am not yet half way through my trip, I still think a lot about what I am doing in the future and when I am going home. I worry a bit that I am not using this opportunity to go to more places, but then I also worry that if I don´t stay in a country long enough, I wont get an accurate impression of it. It is a catch 22.

Sorry, not sure where I was going with that. . .

Anyway, I met up with Cody and Joshua and we made plans to mountain bike down "The World´s Most Dangerous Road". So this began my streak of making traveling in Bolivia more uncomfortable and trying than it needs to be. From what I had read, I was already bracing myself for traveling in Bolivia to be quite difficult due to lack of tourist infrastructure, adequate hotels, sanitary food, working buses and roads and general hygiene; however, in actuality I have found Bolivia no more difficult or unpleasant than Ecuador or Peru. In general, I have found all three countries pleasant, and (gasp) not that difficult or frightening to travel in. So I suppose this is why I decided to challenge myself a little in Bolivia.

First challenge: Death Road. I met up with Cody and Joshua, who I had met while spending a night on Amantani Island on the Peru side of Lake Titicaca. We had a fabulously strange night dressing up in traditional clothing and dancing with our host families. The only person at the party from my family was a quite elderly woman who nonetheless insisted that I dance much more than I would have liked (had I had it my way, I would have not danced at all). Most interesting discovery of the night: beer foams over A LOT when you are at altitudes above 4000 meters. In La Paz, we arranged to bike the Death Road, a one lane dirty road cut into the side of a jungle covered cliff. We were told to bring sun screen and bug spray; what we actually needed was subzero weather gear. We started at some ridiculous altitude in the freezing fog and rain. After the first hour, all of us, including our guides, were back in the van, too cold to ride -- with the exception of a crazy Frenchman, who rode the entire way. It was perhaps the coldest I have ever been in my life, and that is coming from someone who snowboards, scuba dives in the Puget Sound and exercises racehorses in the snow. I thought I was going to vomit, but couldn´t decide whether this was from the severe pain in my thawing hands or from the high altitude. Perhaps both. We continued once we reached the actual Death Road, farther down the road and farther down in altitude as well. We all survived and got very dirty and wet. My advice to anyone following in my footsteps: bring snowboarding gear.

Second Challenge: Salar de Uyuni. I left La Paz and headed south toward Uyuni to see the Salar de Uyuni -- the world´s largest salt flat. I splurged on perhaps the nicest bus I have seen thus far this trip but did not enjoy the 12 hour ride much because we traveled down the roughest "road" I have seen to date. It consisted mostly of a stone path through fields with multiple river crossings -- straight through, no bridges allowed. Once in Uyuni, I was greeted by a ghost town, only with living people. The town was all one color -- tan. The streets were ridiculously wide and the buildings very small, giving the whole town very strange, empty-seeming proportions. I left shortly in a Toyota Landcruiser that had seen better days, but was still in much better shape than many of the other SUVs being used as tour vehicles. I quickly figured out that, though most vehicles had the typical mix of European tourists, my vehicle held only people from La Paz, expect the driver (presumably from Uyuni) and me. I was briefly terrified by the prospect of spending countless hours over the next three days surround solely by Bolivianos; however, as usual, my preconceptions were totally wrong -- I had a great time and was warmly welcomed. One of the women had lived in the States, so she and I had a couple of conversations in English, during which I got to ask all my burning questions about the coca culture in Bolivia. This, however, would make the blog way, way too long, so maybe I will cover my thoughts on the Bolivia-US-Coca-Cocaine saga in another blog. So this was challenging why, you may ask? Well, mostly it was easy, as it was just a lot of driving to some of the most incredible landscapes I have ever seen. I know where Salvador Dali got his inspiration, seriously. The only very unpleasant parts were that the last morning we got up and in the car at 5am in order to make it back to Uyuni at a reasonable hour and once again, it was painfully cold. I hate being cold. My future travel plans will now revolve solely around traveling to places that are always between 55 and 70 (I hate being hot too). The second problem? One of the families had a very cute 5 year old who was very sick due to either the car rides and/or the altitude; therefore the truck consisted of me, the driver, 5 more adults, one small child and bowls of vomit. Not pleasant. At least our driver was not a drunk, unlike the driver of one poor couple I met; thank goodness for small miracles.

Third Challenge: Potosi Mines. Immediately after returning to Uyuni from the salt flat, I boarded a bus for Potosi. For some reason, all buses leave at 7pm, leaving you no time to eat upon returning to Uyuni and before boarding the bus, and also causing you to arrive in Potosi sometime between 12am and 2am (or 5am depending on how many flat tires you get). Luckily, I ran into a kid I had met in Cusco and convinced him to let me join his group in searching for a hotel when we arrived in Potosi. The next day we went to visit the Potosi mines. The mines have been operating since colonial times and still operate today, harvesting silver and zinc. The mines were perhaps the most thought provoking thing I have seen since beginning my travels. I hesitate to call them a human rights abuse, as workers are not technically forced to be there; however, they are forced to be there in a way because the salary at almost all other jobs is very, very poor and pales in comparison to the miners salary. That said, one miner dies every day in the mines, most often caused by alcohol-related accidents, since many miners drink heavily while working. Otherwise, miners die within 10 years of entering the mines from silica pneumonia. We met a boy working in the mines hauling wheelbarrows of rock and mineral outside to where the women separate the valuable minerals from the invaluable rock. Not only did he haul a wheelbarrow, that was a challenge for me to lift, for 10 hours a day, but he is only 10, which means he will likely die of a respiratory illness by the age of 20. One interesting coca fact: coca was seen as "from the devil" by the Spanish colonials until they realized that it increased the output of the indigenous people working in the mines, after which it was official supported by the Vatican.

After this whirlwind tour of the south of Bolivia, I needed a break, some warmth and rest, so I headed to beautiful Sucre. I took advantage of a hot (ok, warm and slightly weak) shower and put on some clean and comfortable clothes. I finally untied my tennis shoes from the outside of my bag -- they had been hanging there for 5 or 6 days; ever since I had ruined them riding the mountain bike through rivers. I successfully rescued the insides with shoe powder I bought in La Paz, but the outsides were still covered in mud. I put them on anyway and went out to explore the town. One commonality between many of the cities in Ecuador, Peru and Bolivia is the presence of shoe shine boys around the center of each town. There are slight difference between the shoe shine boys of each town; for example, in La Paz they wear ´80s style sky masks and baseball hats pulled low over their eyes, so it appears that they intend to mug you rather than shine your shoes. I have become used to being approached by these boys, who will shine anything you walk on, including chacos, so I tend to say "no gracias" without paying much attention to them. This time however, two small boys followed me and would not leave me alone. Then I began to understand what they were saying. Basically, they were telling me how dirty my shoes were. I looked down and saw the still present mud from the bike ride and consented to a shoe shine. I paid the boys 10 bolivianos -- 10 times more than they asked, but still only $1.25. Now I have black Asics with a military shine!

I had a wonderful, relaxing time in Sucre resting in a 3 star hotel, for $15 a night and hanging out with a new group of friends. I had originally intended to stay in Sucre for only one night, then head on to Santa Cruz, then on to an animal refuge; however, I was having unspecified anxieties about this plan. Not only was I concerned about time constraints, but also about committing to an organization I knew very little about. Then it finally dawned on me to consult one of the veterinarians I worked with while in Argentina a year and a half ago. Just before I was supposed to leave Sucre, my vet friend emailed me telling me not to waste my time. I felt so relieved to be able to base my decision on good advice. It was also great to find myself suddenly with extra, unplanned time.

Since then, I have been trying to live day to day a little more, not planning so much, which can be difficult for me. I ended up staying in Sucre for four nights with a group of friends from Canada, England and Israel. We kept ourselves pretty busy, seeing a huge set of fossilized dinosaur foot prints, finding the best viewpoint in the city, eating incredibly cheap but good food in the local market, hiking to a set of waterfalls to go swimming and visiting a Sunday market. Now I am in Santa Cruz, again, finding myself here longer than originally planned. I stayed, in part, to meet with some people who work for the Wildlife Conservation Society. They work in the Kaa-Iya de Gran Chaco National Park helping to manage the park and the surrounding indigenous societies. I got to browse their library and learned a lot about this project as well as other similar projects around the world. Unfortunately it does not look like I will make it to the park, as, unlike easily accessible North American Parks, this park has no tourist infrastructure and is quite difficult to reach, let alone navigate inside. Now I am headed out to an organic farm and hope to see Amboro National Park. After that it is on to Brazil. I am feeling the itch to change countries again, though I am having some trouble wading through all the possible travel plans for Brazil. Possibilities are great, but also overwhelming.

15 comments:

Kinohi Nishikawa said...

A great entry on your Bolivian adventures. I especially like the small things that flit in and out of your screen of attention: the crazy French cyclist (and yet: how totally French!); the bowls (not bags!) of vomit; the shoeshine boys with their ski masks. You make me want to visit my southern neighbor very soon!

Unknown said...

This one is my favorite so far!

conor said...

Vice TV (from the creators of Vice Magazine) has a short and entertaining documentary on coca, Evo Morales, and US drug policy available at www.vbs.tv. After clicking the remote control, the piece is under "News." If you know anything about Vice, you should know what type of journalism to expect :).

Anonymous said...

Erin,
I have to admit just how far behind in reading your blog i let myself get (i think i read the first 3...), but the past hour of catching up has been great. you're inspiring me to want to travel next summer in the two months i'll have between 1st and 2nd year.
i spent last week in st. louis exploring the ghettos and looking for a slightly less ghetto-ish block to live on. combined with reading your blog, i came to the realization that no matter where you go, you'll always meet some people who will try to take advantage of you (knowing you're not familiar with wherever you are), and people who will bend over backwards to help you out with no real benefit to themselves (also knowing that you're not familiar with wherever you are). And there are also a scant few people who, for no real reason at all, decide that they just don't like you (because you're american/white/female/riding a bike down the street/wearing green/etc).
I guess i'll be moving to MO the last week of july/first week of august (it'll take 2-3 days just to drive there) and classes start aug 5th. you should consider flying home thru st louis...
things in MT are more calm, i quit my job to spend more time on the ranch after all the crazy stuff happened. now i'm making mosaics, growing a garden in the kitchen (it still freezes at night), working on improving the landscaping, and--as always--helping with the cows (we AI this week) and horses (two baby colts born this month!). Not quite as exotic and adventurous as your travels, thats for sure.
keep up the adventure and know that i'm in awe of your scuba diving courage and ability to put up with the cold (because i hate it too!!!)
miss you,
annie

Elliot Akshun said...

BADLY DRAWN BOY! Yeah, I fuckin' nailed that one. Now I'll go read your blarg.

Elliot Akshun said...

Reading your entries really bum me out, because they make me feel like such an un-accomplished no talent hack. Here you are doing all these cool things and I'm up here in christ-punching Seattle riding a bus wondering if the girl sitting next to me is wearing a thong or no underwear at all.

Fuck. Good post.

Vanya said...

Erin, you are basically my idol, and I wish that my happiness and excitment at reading about your adventures and misadventures wasn't consistently marred by an insane amount of jealously.

Unknown said...

I'm glad to hear its not you puking on the bolivian bus ride adventures!! Everytime I read this I am thankful to have you as an ambassador... and today I am determined not to whine about how I miss you...

JL said...

sorry, i should have warned you about the cold on the last day of the salar. that just about killed me too. did you go in the hot spring afterwrads? that saved me from death. and i totally second your feelings about the weather extremes. i realized through this trip that i am perfectly evolved for the climate of seattle and no other place, except perhaps san francisco. i cant stand temperatures too cold or too hot, although i also realized that if i had to pick, i definitely like cold more than hot. i like being able to go outside without breaking a sweat. but alas, no sooner was i in patagonia that i yearned for the sleeveless days of chile, and no sooner was i back in warm weather that i cursed it and wished for a winter in turkey. which froze my toes so badly that i had to buy a pair of shoes. ... and once again i have totally rambled. it's so interesting to read your (and other bonderman) posts; a lot of the thoughts you mention ive had myself, like wondering about whether id do this if hadnt won the fellowship. i am so humbled by the other people i have met traveling on their own steam. er, i should write about this on my blog instead of wasting your commentary space.

Spencer James said...


I also always wonder if I would have done something similar to this trip if I had not received this fellowship. Obviously lots of other people are traveling through their own means and I hope I would be one of them, but I can´t say with certainty that I would. Becoming complacent in life in the States is really easy, or so I have found. I am still on this trip, yet I find myself planning my next trips already -- this is a good thing, I think, as long as I follow through with it. Even though I am not even half way through my trip yet, I still think a lot about what I am doing in the future and when I am going home. I worry a bit that I am not using this opportunity to go to more places, but then I also worry that if I don´t stay in a country long enough, I wont get an accurate impression of it. It is a catch 22.


if i didn't want to stake a claim on your ideas, i'd tell you how many times i've had those exact questions and thoughts myself...oops, told you anyway. i esp. know what you mean about wondering whether i would have done it by myself, cause i'm always amazed when i meet truly independent (financially speaking) travellers..

Erin said...

Good comments all of you! I really appreciate the thoughts, confirmations, supports, etc. I am glad to know that you are all reading!

Anonymous said...

Hey. That was a great read. You shouldn't feel like a rambler...if you can find the time to write it, I'm us monotonous scheduled people will read it.

have fun in brazil. i have a sweet link for you, but i'll send it over gmail.

Anonymous said...

wow. i sure butchered that sentence. whatever.

Erin said...

Was the ´sweet link´ the kissing cats? I would describe that more as cute. I am assuming this is microbio/Ecuador Evan.

Anonymous said...

Well said.