Rothschild Giraff Breeding Center

Rothschild Giraff Breeding Center

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Into Africa

There will be bigotry and there will be open minds
There will be days of peace you'll never have the time

Upon arriving in Africa, I was excited but also apprehensive, as it seemed to me I was beginning a whole new trip without actually going home or having a break. Now it is hard to believe that I have been here for a month already and been in three countries within that time.

Except for a short overnight in Johannesburg, I began in Uganda. Uganda seemed to me to be most different from my own country, or at least most different from what I am accustomed. Now, however, looking back Uganda does not seem so different or uncomfortable. I think that my combined seven months in South America within the last three years, as well as various trips to Mexico, have given me at least a vague sense of fluidity and continuity across the Americas. That, and I am formulating a theory that many travelers develop a life long love for the first country they spend any substantial amount of time in. For me, that country was Argentina and grew to include South America in general. I found myself leaving South America and already missing Buenos Aires like fat kids miss empanadas.

On that note, Uganda had a lot to compete with; however, I am grateful that I had Uganda, or more importantly the people of Uganda, as my introduction to Africa. I was lucky to hosted by Alex, the cousin of an old high school friend of mine. For once, I got to arrive in a town and not worry about where I was going to sleep or how I was going to get there. I found Kampala to be a very nice, easy and friendly city (though that is at least partial due, I am sure, to Alex helping me with anything I needed to get done) but I most enjoyed seeing some of the smaller towns.

I spent a week in Tororo, on the Kenyan boarder, observing a locally run NGO that works for women's rights. I really felt that I got a much better understanding of the culture in Uganda through my time in Tororo, though each new piece of information led to more questions and often sleepless nights (perhaps I am now just more confused, regardless of being better informed). I spoke with many women who came to the legal aid centers, most of whom had very tragic stories of abuse and neglect. Though I knew about the dowry institution in many parts of Africa before coming here, it is completely different to witness some of the negative consequences first-hand. To overly simplify a very complicated situation, dowry is a longstanding cultural institution which, historically, was used to thank families for raising a daughter, but is now used as an economic incentive and often traps women in abusive relationships. I have my own personal opinions about the dowry, though perhaps more importantly, I have realized that I cannot be too quick to pass judgement within a culture I am not part of and do not fully understand. Currently, the Mufumi Project is working to make the dowry a non-refundable, optional gift so that women may leave bad marriages even if their fathers cannot return the dowry to the husband.

There were pretty much no other travelers in Tororo, so I was a bit of a spectacleand attracted a lot of attention. I had some interesting conversations with local people regarding the differences between the culture in Uganda and the culture in the States. In particular, it was interesting to learn how important tribal affiliation is in Ugandan culture. I was asked whether there were tribes in the United States. That was the most difficult question about the United States I have tried to answer. I began by trying to explain that there are some remaining native tribes but that most people in the U.S. did not have a tribal affiliation. That answer led to the question, "Then how do you know who is higher or lower than you?" I began to try to answer that, theoretically, no one is inherently "higher" or "lower" in the U.S., but that in practice this is not usually the case. Trying to explain to someone who has never experienced a culture like the U.S. the various ways people may be prejudice or not in the U.S. is pretty much impossible. It is almost as difficult as explaining to a Ugandan that you are an atheist. My, at times brutal, honesty often made conversations more interesting and, luckily for me, I don't think I made any serious enemies through it. Overall, I had a good time in Uganda; my only regret is that I did not go rafting at the source of the Nile -- that might be reason enough alone to plan a return trip.

Next, I flew down to South Africa to meet my friend Sharlee, who was helping some other veterinarians in Hoedspruit. I wasn't quite sure what I had agreed to, but I was happy to have someone else doing the planing for a little while. We ended up staying with Andre, who works in game capture for various game farms outside of Kruger Park. The whole concept of game farming was totally foreign to me, though it occurs in some parts of the States as well. Basically, Andre's job is to help farmers manage their animals by chemically immobilizing them so they can be moved safely within and between farms. The veterinarians were not as much interested in the game farming, but rather the opportunities to collect data on animals still living in their (more or less) natural environments. This situation provided me with an opportunity to learn a bit about anesthesia monitoring in large wild animals, as my previous experience is limited to cats, dogs, birds and elephant seals. The main reason the veterinarians were there was to collect data on wild giraffe, so that they might better understand how to manage captive giraffe. Unfortunately, we did not get our hands on a single giraffe the whole time we were there. Hopefully the other two veterinarians had better luck later.

I found South Africa to be quite a bit different than Uganda (as expected). To me, the country seems very much fresh out of apartheid -- like everyone is still recovering and figuring out how to move forward. I definitely noticed a bit of what would obviously be described as racism in the U.S. from some of the white population; though it seemed to me to be much a product of circumstance rather than intentional bigotry. Like the U.S. and many other countries, there is also an obvious economic disparity that will take a long time to work through. That said, I visited Soweto, a well known township outside of Johannesburg and was impressed by the progress being made there and about my misconception of all townships being full of crime and poverty. I have been really glad to start out in Uganda and South Africa. Uganda has given me a cultural immersion, though I did not visit as many of the parks as I would have liked and South Africa gave me a bit of a crash course on many wildlife management issues, but came up a bit short as far as giving me a good idea of the interacting cultures.

10 comments:

Rula said...

Yay! Africa, that is so exciting. I want to go east now that I have been west. I like what you say about honesty--I was at first reluctant to say what I actually thought about some things, incase it was construed as criticism. But when I became more honest my conversations became more interesting and I made closer friends. Funny how that works.

conor said...

"I will be there when you die," by My Morning Jacket. I cannot remember if there is a system of rewards, here, but is a piece of toffee out of the question?

Elliot Akshun said...

That rhinoceros looked like a real a-hole!

Rhinoceros is also a cool word, both to spell and to say.

Anonymous said...

I see that you are on Kili as I write this. You should be summiting tonight or the day after. We summited on Sept 11th. A strange place to be that day. Hope you don't vomit like Amy did. I cant wait to sit you down, get you drunk, and talk about east Africa. Enjoy your sunrise on the roof of Africa.
Peace. Fid

XOXOXOXO Miss you. Amy

Erin said...

Conor, months on end and several, um, interesting stories from various sources and this is all I get? Really? But glad you are alive. We'll take about your prize later. Steve, rhinos can be a-holes, but this one was on a lot of drugs -- the only way you get a rhino in a box on a semi. Fid and Amy, you didn't quite warn me adequately for the blistering cold and feeling of death associated with summiting. I kept the food down, but barely. It required a fair amount of crying, which somehow didn't bother my guide at all.

Anonymous said...

it is amazing that you're learning about anesthetizing large, exotic animals with vets working on game farms in africa. i'd be jealous if i weren't so awe-struck. you've got me hanging on every word.


steve, i was in pullman around the middle of july too and i thought it sucked too...but that might be because i had a doctors appt. and a funeral on the same day.

Vanya said...

Erin-I just saw your update that you made it to the top. I know I have said this before-in your blog commentary no less-but you have officially become the coolest, most bad-ass person I know. I seriously almost started crying at work when I read that you had summmited. Not sure why, might have something to do with the fact that I am drunk (and yes, I am at work, the advertising world continues to amaze me) . . . I am so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

Sorry Erin, I am fairly cold resistant and I was annoying people by jogging past them on the summit. Amy on the other hand experienced all that you felt and should have warned you. You will have forgotten about all the pain in a few weeks and just remember the incredible parts. Mountaineering has that effect on you (until the next time you climb and then the awful memories come rushing back and you wonder why you are doing it again.)
-Fid

Erin said...

You are exactly right Fid. At the top I thought, "I am never doing this again!" Then only a couple of hours later back at a more "normal" 4700 meters, I was already thinking about which mountain would be my next. Damn you boys, always impervious to the cold! And damn genetics for my poor circulation!

JL said...

do you have an interest in veterinary medicine? sounds like youve had some good experiences towards it. and congrats on finishing kilimanjaro - you are stellar!!!